- First officer's personal log, Supplemental
- I have decided to maintain our position in the hope that Captain Picard can outwit Q, as he's done in the past.
But, I must admit, if only to myself, the possibility that the captain will finally run out of ways to deal with this super-being.
And even if he does manage to outmaneuver his adversary once again... Will Q abide by the rules of whatever game he's invented? Or will he give in to a whim -- and make the captain pay the price?
- Beverly Crusher • Wesley Crusher • Data • Guinan • Geordi La Forge • Lanza • Christine Picard • Claude Picard • Maurice Picard • Jean-Luc Picard • Q • William Riker • Deanna Troi • Worf • Yvonne
Starships and vehicles
Races and cultures
States and organizations
- This story, written before the TNG episode: "Family", establishes an alternate version of the Picard family, with different names than those later establishes, as well as a brother, Claude, who died as a child.
- John de Lancie is credited as the writer, with Michael Jan Friedman receiving an "additional dialogue by" credit.
- The Q fantasy portions of the story occur in 2332. No date is given for the present-day story, but the DC Comics Timeline gives a stardate of 43738.8.
- Lieutenant Worf is incorrectly pictured with Lieutenant Commander rank pips.
- This comic is collected in The Best of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
- The Gift was reprinted in seven parts in the UK Star Trek: The Next Generation Magazine #16-22.
- The Gift was reprinted by IDW Publishing in March of 2021.
John de Lancie
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next Adventure:|
|Voyages of the
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D)
|The above chronology placements are based on the primary placement in 2366.|
The Memory Beta Chronology places events from this story in two other timeframes:
Hour of Fire
An Easy Fast
Section 8 & 10
Wildfire, Book 2
A Stitch in Time
Part One: Chapters 21 & 23, Part Two: Chapters 2, 4, 6 & 8