- For thousands of years, it had drifted above the outer rim of the galaxy, draining life from all the worlds it found there. Now, it has learned of the banquet of populous planets near the heart of the Milky Way, and is heading there at terrifying speed—with only the Enterprise standing in its way.
- Captain's log, stardate 6619.2... USS Enterprise on an exploratory mission into intergalactic space.
- Captain's, log, stardate 6620.3... The planet is just as Spock described it—cold, dead, with dust whistling around us. The filters in our respirator units will last only a few hours in this environment.
- Captain's, log, stardate 6624.9... We have arrived at what First Officer Spock believes to be the most recently attacked planet.
- Captain's log, delayed entry. The sudden shift in gravity threw me against and through the wall. But I no longer had any idea of how long ago that was. Falling like that left me with no sense of time or distance. However, there was one thing I did know. I was not alone! Given the speed and ease with which they dispatched Lt. Bachman... I saw nothing to be gained by resisting them. Docility was my best gambit. My "hosts" abandoned me, leaving me to be moved ever deeper by a levitation device.
- Bachman • Christine Chapel • Pavel Chekov • James T. Kirk • John Kyle • Leonard McCoy • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Tommy Kovaks • Nyota Uhura
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- intergalactic space • Milky Way Galaxy • Rohrbough Maelstrom • unknown planets
- Referenced only
- Earth (Ohio)
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
Science and technologyEdit
- antimatter • black hole • class M • coordinates • galaxy • gravity • impulse power • intensive care unit • intermix • Leiber-Kurtzberg Theory • life energy • maintenance robot • mathematics • mummification • nacelle • negative energy • pattern buffer • respirator • robot • scanner • sensor array • slingshot • structural integrity • tricorder • warp signature
Ranks and titlesEdit
- biologist • captain • chief engineer • commander • doctor • first officer • lieutenant • planetary scientist
- 21st century • animal • assignment patch • atmosphere • atom • bacteria • bridge • briefing room • century • city • concrete • dark star • distress signal • engineering • fairy • farm • Federation Starfleet ranks (2260s) • galaxy • gas • ghost • ghoul • grass • kitten • landing party • millimeter • minute • mummification • ocean • standard orbit • philosophy • poetry • planet • rogue planet • science • skeleton • soil • space warp • star • Starfleet uniform (2265-2270) • star system • suicide • third-degree burn • transporter room • turbolift • war • warp factor (warp one • warp five • warp eight • warp nine • warp ten) • year
- This story took place shortly after Pavel Chekov had been promoted to lieutenant. The one-page story "R.H.I.P.", the previous story by John Byrne, cited the promotion. (Chekov was promoted in 2269, according to the Chekov article at StarTrek.com.)
- December 2017
- First published by IDW Publishing
- August 2018
- Reprinted in the omnibus New Visions, Volume 7. (IDW Publishing)
- October 2019
- Reprinted in hardcover in Graphic Novel Collection premium subscription photonovel #4. (Eaglemoss Collections)
- Pavel Chekov quoted lyrics, "And they all lived in little boxes, and they all look just the same." The lyrics were from "Little Boxes", a song made popular by singer Pete Seeger in 1963. (Little Boxes article at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.)
- Consistent with his promotion, Chekov and Hikaru Sulu addressed each other by their first names while on duty.
- TOS - New Visions comic: "The Hollow Man" – The malevolent, telepathic entity S'uora was trapped within the core of Tau Beta IV.
- TOS comic: "The Final Truth" – The hollow planet Tristas contained a complex, benevolent life energy entity known as The Presence.
- TOS comic: "It's a Living" – The hollow planet Argus IV hatched the Argus IV cosmozoan.
- TOS comic: "The Brain-Damaged Planet" – A large Giant Brain cosmozoan lived within the Giant Brain asteroid.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.