The Key Collection, Volume 1 was the first volume in The Key Collection, a five-book omnibus reprinting of Gold Key Comics by Checker Book Publishing Group. The book, printed in June 2004, included Gold Key's first eight issues and was printed on matte paper with card-stock covers. The edition included an excerpt from the TOS production bible written by Gene Roddenberry and an introduction, “Scotty, I Need More Color,” by Checker’s publisher Mark Thompson.
- Back cover
- Star Trek comics debuted in 1967, the year after the original television series premiered, and continued on an irregular serial schedule until 1979 under Western Publishing's Gold Key imprint (newsprint paperback collections dubbed "The Enterprise Logs" were also printed in the 1970s.)
- The comics feature the original Starship Enterprise crew (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scott, Sulu, et al) in Star Trek adventures which couldn't be produced in any other medium and remain available nowhere else.
- Eventually, sixty full-color issues would be published. This, Checker's first collection, includes the original issues one through eight, featuring art by Nevio Zaccara (issues 1 and 2) and Alberto Giolitti (issues 3-8).
- Though writing credits on the first eight issues were not given, subsequent writers for these rare comic gems included Len Wein, George Kashdan and Doug Drexler.
- "The Planet of No Return" (#1)
- "The Devil's Isle of Space" (#2)
- "Invasion of the City Builders" (#3)
- "The Peril of Planet Quick Change" (#4)
- "The Ghost Planet" (#5)
- "When Planets Collide" (#6)
- "The Voodoo Planet" (#7)
- "The Youth Trap" (#8)
|The Key Collection||Next book:|
The Key Collection, Volume 2