The genders of the crew of the Enterprise are reversed while they are being menaced by a nearby Klingon battlecruiser under the command of Kirk's old adversary Kang.
- Adams • Ann Aronsen • Laura Breen • Christine Chapel • Brad Collins • Kang • James T. Kirk • Komack • Leonard McCoy • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Tregarth • Nyota Uhura
- Referenced only
- The Companion • Devil • God • Mara • Pete • Procrustes • Sarek
Starships and vehiclesEdit
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
- angel • bishop • brandy • cake • chess • cloaking device • communicator • credit chit • dim-light glasses • disruptor • DNA • dove • eagle • fly • hawk • petard • phaser • Procrustean Bed • queen • RNA • robot • rook • Saurian brandy • silver • Siren • snarth • tiger • tunic • YY chromosome effect
- This short story reveals that the sexes are far from equal in Starfleet, and discussion of the topic is discouraged. Females rarely achieve the rank of Captain and, upon reaching this rank, are posted to a 'safe' desk job.
- Prior to this story, Mara left Kang and became a "peace-monger".
- The device on this planet reversed the sexes of crews, but selected the strongest of them to undergo the "YY chromosome effect". XYY syndrome appears to be the condition referenced in this story, but has none of the hyper-aggressive side-effects Spock and Kang experienced.
- When they meet in a bar, Kang and Kirk (female) decide to accept their condition and "go back to his place". They later lament that Spock's arrival interrupts this action.
- The all male Klingon crew becomes quiet and shy once turned female.
- The conversion to female has a noticeable effect on James T. Kirk's ability to pilot a shuttle and his emotional fortitude.
|Star Trek: The New Voyages 2||Next story:|
The Sleeping God
The Price of the Phoenix
Sondra Marshak and Myrna Culbreath
The Fate of the Phoenix
|Pocket Books Timeline||Next adventure:|
The Business, As Usual, During Altercations
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next adventure:|
Mission's End, Issue 2
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.