"The Promethean Prophecy" is an interactive, text-based TOS video game released by Simon & Schuster Interactive in 1986. In this story, after being damaged by Romulan attack, the USS Enterprise is stranded, without food, in orbit of a mysterious planet.
Starfleet Communique: Top Secret, Clearance Code 2W
- Welcome to the twenty-third century. As James T. Kirk, captain of the starship Enterprise, you are about to engage in one of the most challenging battles of your career as a Starfleet officer. In addition, you will soon be making contact with a thoroughly enigmatic alien culture on a planet never before visited by a Federation vessel. Your personal safety and that of the entire crew of the Enterprise will depend on the skill with which you handle this important first contact.
- Captain's log, stardate 3642.0
- We have ventured beyond the charted boundaries of Federation territory, reducing our speed to sub-warp velocity in the Prometheus solar system, near the Great Transtellar Rift. Our orders are straightforward. This is an exploratory mission: we are to seek out new life, and make contact with new civilizations. The unknown Promethean worlds wheel into view on the screen before me: gleaming spheres, circling endlessly in the darkness. After all these years, planets still look like toys to me, each one small enough to take in the palm of my hand, like the models hung from the ceiling in my room at the Academy. At times like these, I find myself falling back on a single though, a schoolboy's lesson, drilled into me at the Academy with maddening regularity. A fundamental principle which I once hoped was no more than a killjoy guideline cooked up by some sour, Earthbound, Federation desk-jockey, but which I have come to respect as genuine wisdom. The Prime Directive: you can look all you like, but don't touch. (Gameplay)
- Captain's log, stardate 3642.2
- 'While exploring an unmapped sector of space near the border of the Great Transtellar Rift, the Enterprise came under sudden attack, sustaining major damage to virtually all decks. Leaking coolants contaminated the entire stock of raw protein substance, the base material of all the galley's synthesized foods. Chief Engineer Scott estimates that repairs to our warp engines will take eight or nine constant days at the very least. It seems incredible that a Federation starship could be in such a position, but if we don't find an adequate food source soon, the entire crew of the Enterprise will starve. (Back cover, Instruction book)
- We have beamed down to the surface of Prometheus Four, the only class M planet within range. I have ordered First Officer Spock, Doctor McCoy, and ship's xenoethnologist Hernanda Dimas to explore the area and look for any signs of a protein source large enough to accommodate our needs. (Instruction book)
- Shortly after beaming down to the desolate surface of Prometheus Four to search for food, we were observed by an alien humanoid previously thought to be mythological. Our only hope is to somehow make contact with the inhabitants of this planet and gain access to their food supply. (Back cover)
- Captain's log, stardate 3642.9
- While attempting to penetrate the deepening mystery of the Promethean culture, the landing party narrowly avoided being swept away by an intense and dangerous sandstorm. We know the Prometheans have considerable stockpiles of protein material the Enterprise needs. What we don't know is how to convince them to give some to us. We have yet to even meet the dominant individual, who calls himself "the afflictor."
- Duane Berryman • Biphlomin • Cortneelia • Daia • Hernanda Dimas • Fitzgerald • Gaidren • Gildea • Jharpe • unnamed USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) personnel • unnamed Prometheus IV natives
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- USS Enterprise (Constitution-class heavy cruiser) • unnamed Romulan starships (Vas Hatham-class bird-of-prey)
Planetary locations and settlementsEdit
Outposts and stationsEdit
Planets and planetoidsEdit
Stars and systemsEdit
Races and culturesEdit
- Referenced only
States and organizationsEdit
Science and classificationEdit
- alert status (red alert) • auto destruct • communicator • computer bank • coolant • damage control • deflector shield • elevator • energizer • earphone • food synthesizer • holo • hologram • impulse engine • intercom • ion integrator • life support • main computer • matter-energy integrator • matter-energy scrambler locus • phaser • photon torpedo • plasma cannon (plasma weapon) • replica • sensor • starship • transporter • tricorder • turbolift • viewscreen • warp drive • xenoethnology
Materials and substancesEdit
- adrenaline • phaser coolant (coolant) • electron • gold • mercury • metal • plasma • protein • rain • silicate
Ranks and titlesEdit
- afflictor • captain • chanter • chief engineer • chief medical officer • commander • commanding officer • communications officer • defender • delighter • doctor • ensign • first officer • helmsman • jumper • lieutenant • lieutenant commander • navigator • praetor • sage • science officer • sustainer • trader • xenoethnologist
- animal • apple • apricot • binary star • black hole • bridge • brig • burrower • captain's log • chamb • chess set • class M planet • cliff • command chair • conga line • corridor • crustacean • desert • eagle • engineering • English language • fireworks • fossil • galley • harrik • humanoid • ion storm • Kaferian apple nectar • krill • landing party • lifeform • log entry • mess hall • meteorite • metric ton • minute • orange • photosynthesis • pictogram • planet • Prime Directive • quarters • ravine • religion • Richter Scale of Culture • river • rock • Saurian brandy • scuttler • second • sector • shuttlecraft • sickbay • space • spacesuit • sroc • standard orbit • star • star system • starbase • steak • sublight • technology • telekinesis • transporter room • Vulcan harp • warp factor (warp five) • water • wortham unit • Zienite
- This story takes place halfway into Kirk's five-year mission, according to a scene in the instruction book where Kirk is preparing to make a speech, suggesting a placement in late 2267 or early 2268.
- Stardates used in the story fell between the TOS episodes: "Wolf in the Fold", "The Apple".
- The game was playable on Commodore 64, Apple II & DOS systems.