"The Rebound Effect" is a Waypoint comic set in the The Original Series. It is the first story in Waypoint, Issue 6, published in July 2017 by IDW Publishing in honor of Star Trek's 50th anniversary. This story focuses on Nurse Christine Chapel.
- 1 Publisher's description
- 2 Summary
- 3 References
- 4 Timeline
- 5 Appendices
Publisher's description[edit | edit source]
- Nurse Chapel questions whether or not to continue her medical training until a shuttle incident prompts her to make decisions that will forever change her future.
Summary[edit | edit source]
Christine Chapel participated in a three-day medical conference at a K-class spacedock, where she attended Doctor Traff's lecture on nanoparticle research. Afterward, Traff personally thanked USS Enterprise Crewman Skov for his role in upcoming peace talks between their two warring reptilian species. Skov and two others then left with Chapel aboard the Galileo. Shortly after launch, Skov collapsed onto the controls, nosediving the shuttle toward a planet. Chapel managed to crash land, send an SOS, and start treating injuries before indigenous creatures attacked, then struggled to keep them at bay until they could all be rescued by the Enterprise.
- Stardate 2942.1. Nurse's Medical Log:
- The Enterprise has reached the rendezvous site in the Varanu system in time to host armistice treaty negotiations between two warring factions.
I would have hated to be the reason we didn't get here in time...
While the shuttle's crew were being treated in sickbay, the Enterprise prepared a conference room for Skov's and Traff's races. Skov seemed healthy and left to attend the meeting. Suspicious of his quick recovery, Chapel asked Leonard McCoy to scan her for foreign agents, locating nanoparticles in her bloodstream. Chapel recalled the technology from the medical conference and realized Skov had been infected with a viral agent to sabotage the conference.
By the time they got to the room, most of the participants were found unconscious, and Skov was dead.
- Stardate 2943.6. Medical log:
- Fortunately, I took excellent notes during Dr. Traff's talk.
This allowed us to reverse-engineer an antidote via the same pathway that had introduced the infectious agent.
The initial sickness had been an immune response. The real danger came later, as Traff had planned, when the virus replicated enough to interrupt a three-chambered heart. He will pay dearly for what he did.
Speaking of hearts, I can't help thinking mine belongs right here, light years from civilization…
Where I can treat a scraped knee, protect a wounded comrade, and thwart an attack on a peace treaty...
All in one day.
References[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
Starships and vehicles[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Races and cultures[edit | edit source]
States and organizations[edit | edit source]
Science and classification[edit | edit source]
- biofilter • diagnostic bed • flare • laboratory • medscanner • nanoparticle • phaser • scanner • transporter • tricorder • weapon
Ranks and titles[edit | edit source]
Other references[edit | edit source]
- antidote • armistice • assignment patch • atmosphere • blood • civilization • conference • conference room • day • diplomacy • distress call • Federation Starfleet ranks (2260s) • heart • light year • log entry • medical • medical log, USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) • minute • peace • races and cultures • rank • reptile • rock • sickbay • SOS • space • species • Starfleet ranks • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2265-2270) • treaty • virus • war
Timeline[edit | edit source]
Chronology[edit | edit source]
- Based on its stardates, the story was set in 2267 in between TOS episodes: "The Galileo Seven", "Court Martial".
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
Related stories[edit | edit source]
- TOS episode: "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" – In 2266, Christine Chapel's missing fiancé Roger Korby was discovered on Exo III.
- TOS - Leonard McCoy, Frontier Doctor comic: "Hosts" – In 2273, Chapel treated highly unusual symptoms in Susan M'Benga and others following the USS Yorktown's visit to Sigma Thernia 3B.
Images[edit | edit source]
Connections[edit | edit source]
Come Away, Child
What Fools These Mortals Be
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next adventure:|
|Star Trek: Waypoint Comics|
|#1 ("Puzzles" & "Daylily") • #2 ("The Menace of the Mechanitrons" & "Legacy") • #3 ("Mother's Walk" & "The Wildman Maneuver) • #4 ("The Fragile Beauty of Loyalty" & "Mirror, Mirror, Mirror, Mirror") • #5 ("Frontier Doctor" & "Come Away, Child") • #6 ("The Rebound Effect" & "The Fear") • Special ("Only You Can Save Yourself" & "Consider Eternity" & "My Human is Not" & "Histories") • Special 2019 ("Hearts & Bones" & "Unfathom" & "The Swift Spoke" & "The First Year")|