The Zodian Sacrifice was a four-page Star Trek: The Original Series comic strip published in 1971. It was the sixth of 11 annual stories in the UK comic strips series and first appeared in the publication TV21 Annual 1972.
- Omnibus teaser
- A Zodian vessel attacks the Enterprise and immediately surrenders, its crew hoping to gain passage from the planet Korak, a dinosaur-inhabited world on which they had been trapped.
The USS Enterprise arrived at Korak to check out Starfleet Intelligence reports of recent activity by the hostile Zodian Empire. A Zodian vessel launched from the surface and fired on the Enterprise. Hikaru Sulu returned fire, and the Zodians signaled their surrender.
Once aboard the starship, they confessed to James T. Kirk that huge dinosaurs killed most of their expedition and wrecked their base. They didn't even have enough fuel to leave the planet. Kirk and two crewmembers conducted a fly-by in the Galileo, confirming that the base was destroyed and spotting a wrecked Zodian spacecraft. Suddenly a paw from an immense armor-plated dinosaur swiped at the shuttle, hurling it into the trees and knocking Kirk unconscious.
The creature lumbered toward the shuttle to try to eat it. By the time Kirk came to, a second shuttlecraft had arrived and was distracting the dinosaur. The second ship self-destructed against the side of the creature, giving Galileo time to escape. Spock later explained that the Zodian crew volunteered to save Kirk to regain their honor. Kirk hoped their sacrifice would lead to improved relations with the Zodians.
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- USS Enterprise (Constitution-class heavy cruiser) • Galileo (NCC-1701/B) (class F shuttlecraft) • NCC-1701/C (class F shuttlecraft) • Zodian starship
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
Science and technologyEdit
Ranks and titlesEdit
- atmosphere • battle stations • brig • dinosaur • empire • honor • hurricane • orbit • planet • space • star • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2265-2270) • starship • suicide • tree
- April 1971
- First printed in TV21 Annual 1972 (World Distributors)
- September 2017
- Reprinted in the omnibus The Classic UK Comics, Volume 3 (IDW Publishing)
- The story was not printed with a title, but it was given one ("The Zodian Sacrifice") for its reprinting in the omnibus The Classic UK Comics, Volume 3.
- This story was printed on pages 4-7 of TV21 Annual 1972, followed by 17 non-Star Trek stories. A side view of the Enterprise appeared among the illustrations on the inside covers.
- Publication release date was April 1971. (TV21 Annual 1972 article at the Star Trek Reading Order website)
- The Galileo shuttlecraft in this story bore the registry number NCC-1701/B. The unnamed shuttle piloted by Zodians had the registry NCC-1701/C.
- At the end of the story, Kirk referred to the Zodian Empire and the Federation as "two empires".
- TOS comic: "Dinosaur Planet" – In the 2270s, the crew of the USS Enterprise explored a planet of sentient dinosaurs.
|UK comic strips|
|Weekly story arcs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12 • 13 • 14 • 15 • 16 • 17 • 18 • 19 • 20 • 21 • 22 • 23 • 24 • 25 • 26 • 27 • 28 • 29 • 30 • 31 • 32 • 33 • 34 • 35 • 36 • 37|
|Annual stories||1 • 2 • Captives in Space • Planet of Rejects • Gateway to the Future • 6 • 7 • Planet of the Dead • What Is This Thing Called Spock? • The Gods Have Come! • 11|