The Zodian Sacrifice was a four-page Star Trek: The Original Series comic strip published in 1971. It was the sixth of 11 annual stories in the UK comic strips series and first appeared in the publication TV21 Annual 1972.
- 1 Publisher's description
- 2 Summary
- 3 References
- 4 Timeline
- 5 Appendices
Publisher's description[edit | edit source]
- Omnibus teaser
- A Zodian vessel attacks the Enterprise and immediately surrenders, its crew hoping to gain passage from the planet Korak, a dinosaur-inhabited world on which they had been trapped.
Summary[edit | edit source]
The USS Enterprise arrives at Korak to check out Starfleet Intelligence reports of recent activity by the hostile Zodian Empire. A Zodian vessel launches from the surface and fires on the Enterprise. Hikaru Sulu returns fire, and the Zodians signal their surrender.
Once aboard the starship, they confess to James T. Kirk that huge dinosaurs killed most of their expedition and wrecked their base. They don't even have enough fuel to leave the planet. Kirk and two crewmembers conduct a fly-by in the Galileo, confirming that the base is destroyed and spotting a wrecked Zodian spacecraft. Suddenly a paw from an immense armor-plated dinosaur swipes at the shuttle, hurling it into the trees and knocking Kirk unconscious.
The creature lumbers toward the shuttle to try to eat it. By the time Kirk comes to, a second shuttlecraft has arrived and is distracting the dinosaur. The second ship self-destructs against the side of the creature, giving Galileo time to escape. Spock later explains that the Zodian crew volunteered to save Kirk to regain their honor. Kirk hopes their sacrifice will lead to improved relations with the Zodians.
References[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
Starships and vehicles[edit | edit source]
- USS Enterprise (Constitution-class heavy cruiser) • Galileo (NCC-1701/B) (class F shuttlecraft) • NCC-1701/C (class F shuttlecraft) • Zodian starship
Locations[edit | edit source]
Races and cultures[edit | edit source]
States and organizations[edit | edit source]
Science and technology[edit | edit source]
Ranks and titles[edit | edit source]
Other references[edit | edit source]
- atmosphere • battle stations • brig • dinosaur • empire • honor • hurricane • orbit • planet • space • star • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2265-2270) • starship • suicide • tree
Timeline[edit | edit source]
- The presence of warp nacelle spikes on the Enterprise suggests a placement for this story in 2265 following the death of Gary Mitchell.
Production history[edit | edit source]
- April 1971
- First printed in TV21 Annual 1972 (World Distributors)
- September 2017
- Reprinted in the omnibus The Classic UK Comics, Volume 3 (IDW Publishing)
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
- The story was not printed with a title, but it was given one ("The Zodian Sacrifice") for its reprinting in the omnibus The Classic UK Comics, Volume 3.
- This story was printed on pages 4-7 of TV21 Annual 1972, followed by 17 non-Star Trek stories. A side view of the Enterprise appeared among the illustrations on the inside covers.
- Publication release date was April 1971. (TV21 Annual 1972 article at the Star Trek Reading Order website)
- The Galileo shuttlecraft in this story bore the registry number NCC-1701/B. The unnamed shuttle piloted by Zodians had the registry NCC-1701/C.
- At the end of the story, Kirk referred to the Zodian Empire and the Federation as "two empires".
Related stories[edit | edit source]
- TOS comic: "Dinosaur Planet" – In the 2270s, the crew of the USS Enterprise explored a planet of sentient dinosaurs.