- This article is about element 22, titanium. You may be looking for trans-uranic elements tritanium or trititanium.
Characteristics and historyEdit
Titanium has an atomic mass of 47.90. This element was discovered by Humans for the first time on Earth's European continent in France and England, in the year 1791. (ST reference: Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual)
For years, the Soviet Union sold its titanium to the United States and made their airplanes out of steel. It was not until shortly before 1995 that they learned how to work titanium and began making planes light enough to be used on aircraft carriers. (TNG novel: Ghost Ship)
Christine Chapel acquired an arm bracelet from the titanium smiths of Libra. It was unaffected by the X-waves encountered by the crew of the USS Enterprise, in 2269, despite the shrinking of Chapel. As it became proportionally larger, she referred to it as more of a necklace than an arm bracelet. (TAS episode & Log Four novelization: The Terratin Incident)
The Delta Flyer, as first designed by B'Elanna Torres, was planned to employ titanium as a primary hull material, but Seven of Nine suggested this should be abandoned in favor of tetraburnium. (VOY episode: "Extreme Risk")
- TOS episode: "I, Mudd"
- VOY episodes: "One Small Step", "Extreme Risk", "Friendship One", "Dark Frontier"
- ST references: Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual, Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise
- TAS episode & Log Four novelization: The Terratin Incident
- ENT episode: "Shuttlepod One"
- TNG movie, novelization & comic adaptation: First Contact
- TOS novels: World Without End, The Kobayashi Maru, Crossroad, The Fearful Summons, Unspoken Truth, The Rings of Time
- TOS - The Eugenics Wars novel: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh, Volume 2
- FASA RPG module: Star Trek: The Next Generation Officer's Manual
- TNG novel: Ghost Ship
- TNG - Double Helix novel: Red Sector
- ENT novel: What Price Honor?
- STA novel: Maker
- DS9 novels: Wrath of the Prophets, Highest Score
- TLE novel: Well of Souls
- DS9 - Rebels novel: The Courageous
- TOS - Starfleet Academy novel: The Assassination Game