Track-and-field is a sporting contest consisting of several running, throwing and jumping events. Events include the 100 meter dash, 400-meter dash, 400 meter hurdles, 4K run, long jump, shot-put, and the decathlon.
Track-and-field contests have been held at Starfleet Academy and other institutions of learning. They have also been held at major sports championships, including the Martian Olympics, the Olympic Games, and the Pan-African Games.
In 2289, Tuvok found running quite satisfying, particularly the measured cadence required for the 400 meter hurdles, and appreciated the symmetry of the running track. In his first year at Starfleet Academy, he beat a UCLA runner by a half step. (VOY novel: Pathways)
In 2333, Jean-Luc Picard claimed to be "rather decent" at track-and-field. He offered to assist Phigus Simenon with a long jump over a chasm, part of a team sports competition on Gnala. (STA novel: Progenitor)
Track and field athletesEdit
- Mitch Csatlos (Gold medal, 4K, Starfleet Academy, 2370s)
- Susanna Leijten (Team co-captain, Starfleet Academy, 2253)
- Dolores Linton (Silver medal, shot-put, Martian Olympics)
- Irina Karlovassi (Silver medal, decathlon, Olympic Games, 20th century)
- Prince Raviki (Medalist, Furanthy School, 2264 - 2267)
- Derek Redmond (Injured during 400 meter dash, Olympic Games, 1992)
- B'Elanna Torres (Team member, decathlon, Starfleet Academy, 2360s)
- Tuvok (Gold medal, 400 meter hurdles, Starfleet Academy, 2289)
- Nyota Uhura (Record holder, 100 meter dash, Pan-African Games)
- One of Jacob Walch's grandchildren (Gold medal, decathlon, local school meet)
- TAS episode: "The Slaver Weapon"
- VOY episode: "Basics, Part II"
- ENT episode: "Cold Station 12"
- TOS comic: "Husian Gambit"
- TOS comic: "A World Gone Mad"
- TNG novel: Sins of Commission
- TNG novel: The Genesis Wave, Book 2
- TNG - Strange New Worlds short story: "Staying the Course"
- STA novel: Progenitor
- VOY novel: Pathways
- VOY video game: Elite Force
- ST video game: Starship Creator