- For other uses, see Enterprise.
The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-C), sometimes referred to as the Enterprise-C or NCC-1701-Charlie, was a Federation starship, an Ambassador-class heavy cruiser in service to Starfleet in the mid-24th century. In 2344, the Enterprise and her crew sacrificed themselves to save a Klingon outpost; this had the effect of boosting the deteriorating relations between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, and was seen as a honorable act by the Klingons, later leading to a full Federation-Klingon Alliance. The Enterprise-C had an illustrious service career, and served as flagship of the Federation. (TNG episode: "Yesterday's Enterprise", Decipher RPG modules: Starfleet Operations Manual, Starships)
The fourth Federation starship to bear the name Enterprise was commissioned in 2332 at Earth Station McKinley. She was placed under the command of Captain Rachel Garrett. (ST reference: Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, Starfleet Academy novel: The Haunted Starship; (ST - The Lost Era novels: The Art of the Impossible, Well of Souls; TNG short story: "The Fourth Toast").
Not long following its launch in 2332, the Enterprise-C under the command of Captain Garrett encounters three vessels representing an unknown alien race while exploring a binary star system; the unknown ships deploy an array of probes against the starship, causing the deaths of several crew members. Despite this, the Enterprise still manages to destroy several of the probes and escape back into Federation space. (Enterprise Logs short story: "Hour of Fire")
In late 2335 or early 2336, first officer Commander Nigel Holmes was killed in a raid by Klingon renegades, and replaced by Commander Samir al-Halak. Al-Halak became involved in the Asfar Qatala cartel while taking shore leave on Farius Prime, and was later captured by Qatala agents who posed as Starfleet Intelligence operatives. These false agents then had the Enterprise-C dispatched to the Draavid nebulae cluster. There, the Enterprise discovered a disabled Atawhean colony ship. The Enterprise rescued the colonists, and transferred them to the USS Blakely.
Alerted to the ruse after this rescue, the Enterprise tracked Halak to a dead pre-Cardassian world, where they discovered Captain Garrett's ex-husband, Ven Kaldarren, attempting to find a portal that would have been used by the Hebitians to travel from this world to Cardassia Prime. Alien entities then attacked the Enterprise away team, and Kaldarren sacrificed himself so the rest could escape. (ST - The Lost Era novel: Well of Souls)
On stardate 16883.1, the Enterprise-C visited the planet Zalda to initiate first contact with the Zaldan government. Commander al-Halak, Lieutenant Commander Darya Bat-Levi, and chief medical officer Jo Stern took part in the landing party, but Stern took the lead in discussions, given the Zaldans' aversion to falsehoods and appreciation of blunt honesty. (ST novel: A Singular Destiny)
On either Saturday, 5 February, or in May 2344 (stardate 21096.4), the Enterprise-C was patrolling near the Klingon-Romulan border, when they received a distress call from a Klingon outpost on Narendra III. Upon arrival at Narendra, the Enterprise found the outpost under attack by four Romulan Warbirds; the Enterprise put up a gallant fight, but was ultimately destroyed by the superior numbers. Some of the crew survived, however, and were taken prisoner by the Romulans. (TOS novel: Vulcan's Heart; TNG episodes: "Yesterday's Enterprise", "Redemption II")
The only members of the Enterprise crew to survive and also avoid Romulan capture were Doctor Frances Stewart, two security guards, and a shuttle pilot, all of whom were assigned to accompany the stricken Saavik to Vulcan. They survived because their shuttle left the ship before the Romulan attack took place. (TOS novel: Vulcan's Heart)
- Before the Enterprise's destruction, she traveled through a temporal rift to an alternate 2366, where they were discovered by the USS Enterprise-D. The Enterprise-C crew are, at first, eager to stay in the future, but after discovering that the Federation is facing destruction at the hand of the Klingon Empire, they decide to return after their successors deduce that the Enterprise-C's sacrifice in the past would avert the current war.
- A Klingon attack on both Enterprises leaves Captain Garrett dead, but Lieutenant Richard Castillo assumes command and takes the ship back in time, along with Lieutenant Natasha Yar. (TNG episode: "Yesterday's Enterprise")
- While attempting to return to their own time, the Enterprise was accidentally pulled farther into the future, into an anomaly in the Azure Nebula in 2409, thus again restoring the timeline in which the Klingons defeated the Federation in war. The Enterprise was captured and held at a Tholian facility, and the crew forced to work.
- In this timeline, some time after the Klingons defeated the Federation, the Bajorans discovered the wormhole. Once discovered, the Dominion invaded the Alpha quadrant, allying with the Cardassians and the Breen. With the Federation gone and the quadrant in disarray, the Dominion conquered or subsumed the major powers. The Tholians signed a non-aggression pact with the Dominion and as part of the deal, were given the Azure Nebula.
- With help from other temporally-displaced officers, the Enterprise-C escaped and returned to its own time. (STO mission: "Temporal Ambassador")
- Following the battle with the Romulans, both officers survive, and are taken prisoner. (TNG episode: "Redemption II")
USS Enterprise-C personnel
- Commanding Officer:
- First Officer
- Second Officer
- Lieutenant Commander Darya Bat-Levi (2336-2344)
- Science Officer
- Commander Tholav (2332-2344)
- Chief engineer
- Chief medical officer
- Communications chief
- Tactical officer
- Helmsman: Cadet/Ensign/Lieutenant Richard Castillo (2332-2344)
- Head counselor
- Commander Yuriel Tyvan (2336-2344)
|Ambassador-class explorer/heavy cruiser starships|
| Federation Starfleet |
|standard configuration||Adelphi • Ambassador • Assurance • Aurora • Ayers • Champlin • Crescent • Cybele • Enterprise-C • Excalibur • Exeter • Fury • Gandhi • Gravina • Hammarskjöld • Hannibal • Harding • Hawkesbury • Hickok • Horatio • Independence • Indianapolis • Iroquois • Isis • Kadosca • Krotus • Loma Prieta • MacDonald • Madison • Manassas • Monroe • Montgomery • Norman • Quiberon • Seattle • Shelton • Strong • Thelian • Thorn • Valdemar • Velasco • Warakurna • Wilson • Winslow • Yamaguchi • Zarnitza • Zhukov|
|variant configurations||Narendra-subclass: Narendra • Yamaguchi-subclass: Excalibur • Forrestal • Yamaguchi • Zhukov|
| Terran Imperial Starfleet |