- For other uses, see Farragut.
- For the mirror universe counterpart of the Farragut, please see the ISS Farragut.
The USS Farragut (NCC-1647, sometimes referred to as NCC-1702) was a Federation Constitution-class heavy cruiser in service to Starfleet in the 23rd century. (TOS episode: "Obsession"; ST reference: The Star Trek Encyclopedia)
Construction and launch
The Farragut was authorized for construction on stardate 0965, and entered service on reference stardate 1/8806. (TOS references: Star Fleet Technical Manual, The Star Trek Encyclopedia; FASA RPG module: Federation Ship Recognition Manual) Robert April, in his retirement address, mentioned the Farragut as one of the first five Constitution vessels under construction at that time. (TOS novel: Final Frontier)
- The reference book Star Fleet Technical Manual referred to Farragut as a "class I" "mk-IX" ship with registry number of "NCC-1702". Later FASA RPG publications identified it as "class XI" "mk I", with registry set at NCC-1647.
The Farragut was in service at least as early as 2247, when it was under the command of Captain Nechama Rabin. That year, the Farragut visited Vulcan, where the captain and several of her crew were taken captive by a renegade named Sered. (TOS novel: Vulcan's Forge)
By 2254, the Farragut was under the command of Captain Stephen Garrovick. Garrovick's crew included notable officers James T. Kirk and Androvar Drake. During Garrovick's command, the Farragut made contact with numerous races and charted hundreds of planets, including Modala and Neural. (TOS comic: "A Little Seasoning"; TOS episode: "A Private Little War")
In 2255, the Farragut was ambushed by six pirate vessels native to Epsilon Canaris III. Although outnumbered six-to-one, the Farragut escaped to Starbase 7 thanks to tactical officer Kirk. (TOS novel: Crisis on Centaurus)
During this time, the Farragut visited Pilkor III, between the Federation/Romulan border. The crew of the Farragut also accepted Tred Kegin for a three-month tour aboard the ship, with newly-graduated officers James Kirk and Victoria Leigh as his liaisons. (TOS comic: "Class Reunion")
In 2257, the Farragut was surveying planet Tycho IV, when they were attacked by a dikironium cloud creature. The creature was impervious to phaser fire and overwhelmed the ship's defenses, leaving a third of the crew dead, including Captain Garrovick. Lieutenant Kirk assumed temporary command and set a course for the nearest starbase. After First Officer Arthur Chenowyth resumed command, the damaged Farragut was again attacked, this time by extra-dimensional being who invaded the ship through hull-piercing pod projectiles. Many more crew were killed, although it was later discovered that many were cocooned to join the alien creatures' life-cycle. In order to save approximately two-hundred members of the surviving crew, Lieutenant Kirk and a Vulcan scientist named T'Cel manually scuttled the secondary hull to save the uninfested primary hull saucer. Farragut was officially declared a wreck on reference stardate 2/0904. (TOS reference: Star Fleet Technical Manual; FASA RPG module: Federation Ship Recognition Manual; TOS episode: "Obsession"; TOS novels: Constitution, The Ashes of Eden; TOS comic: "Debt of Honor"; Decipher RPG module: Starships)
At some point during Kirk's service aboard the Farragut, he served as assistant chief engineer. Upon meeting Montgomery Scott when boarding the USS Enterprise in 2264, Kirk hoped that his experience as an engineer would give him some commonality with Scott and allow them to work together effectively. (TOS comic: "All Those Years Ago...")
When Androvar Drake became fleet admiral and commander in chief of Starfleet in 2293, he commemorated his early service aboard Farragut by having a model of the ship on display in his office. (TOS comic: "The Ashes of Eden")
A new USS Farragut was authorized for construction as a Bonhomme Richard-subclass on stardate 4444, following the loss of, and in commemoration of the original vessel. Farragut II entered service on reference stardate 2/1802. (TOS reference: Star Fleet Technical Manual; FASA RPG module: Federation Ship Recognition Manual)
- Debt of Honor depicted Farragut with the "NCC-1702" registry, but the subsequent graphic novel adaptation of The Ashes of Eden used "NCC-1647" for the model on Drake's desk. Some sources suggest the latter appearances of the Farragut were actually the same vessel, even though the Star Fleet Technical Manual documents its loss and replacement. Since Debt of Honor describes the saucer section as having survived, it is possible that segment of the older ship was incorporated into the new vessel, making it a continuation of the original ship's legacy.
USS Farragut personnel
- See also: USS Farragut personnel roster
- commanding officer:
- first officer:
- tactical officer
- ship's stores:
- Ensign James T. Kirk (2254-2255)
- sciences division:
- Akanke (2257)
- Victoria Leigh (2254-2257)
- Tred Kegin (2257 for 3 Months)
|Ships named Farragut|
|USS Farragut (Constitution-class) • USS Farragut II, renamed USS Centurion (Enterprise-class) • USS Farragut (NCC-2021, Excelsior-class) • USS Farragut (Nebula-class) • USS Farragut (NCC-2582, Excelsior-class) • USS Farragut (Galaxy-class)|
|Terran Empire, Starfleet
Appearances and references
- TOS episode: "Obsession"
- TOS novel: Vulcan's Forge
- TOS - My Brother's Keeper novel: Constitution
- TOS comic: "Debt of Honor"
- TOS comic: "Gary"