- For other uses, see Horizon.
The USS Horizon (NCC-176) was a Federation starship. She was a Daedalus-class explorer in service to Starfleet in the 22nd century. The Horizon had an illustrious service career. (ST reference: Star Trek Encyclopedia, Decipher RPG module: Starfleet Operations Manual)
Service history and disposition[edit | edit source]
In an effort to understand the complex and ever-changing system of clan politics on Iotia, the contact team consulted a range of political science texts, but eventually found the closest parallel in old Earth's gang warfare. Captain Kinzie made a demonstration of superior firepower and forced the rival Iotian factions into a truce. (Decipher RPG module: Worlds)
Unfortunately, the Horizon left behind a copy of Chicago Mobs of the Twenties when it broke orbit, which the contact team had used for its research. (ST reference: The Worlds of the Federation, Decipher RPG module: Worlds)
- Federation: The First 150 Years gives the captain of the vessel at the time of the Sigma Iotia II visit as Vince Waldron.
Shortly after this contact the Horizon was destroyed. She sent her final reports on radio frequencies which did not reach the Federation for a century. (TOS episode & novelization: A Piece of the Action; ST reference: Star Trek Encyclopedia)
- The TOS episode & novelization: A Piece of the Action specified only that a ship named Horizon made contact with the Iotians. Later sources such as the Star Trek Encyclopedia, The Worlds of the Federation and Worlds stated it was this starship, the USS Horizon. Most recently, the ENT novel: Kobayashi Maru specified it was the ECS Horizon who made contact with the Iotians.
Legacy[edit | edit source]
While on Iotia, members of the Horizon's crew left behind a book, Chicago Mobs of the Twenties, which resulted in severe cultural contamination, causing the bright but easily-influenced Iotian people to develop a gang culture. A century later, when Starfleet received the Horizon's final logs, the USS Enterprise was sent to the planet to investigate the outcome of Horizon's visit. (TOS episode & novelization: A Piece of the Action; ST references: The Worlds of the Federation, Star Trek Encyclopedia)
Professor Keiko O'Brien had a model of the Horizon in her school aboard Deep Space 9. Benjamin Sisko also had a model of the Horizon in his office throughout his seven year command of the space station. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine set decoration, ST reference: Star Trek Encyclopedia)
Appendices[edit | edit source]
Connections[edit | edit source]
|United Earth, Starfleet (until 2161)||A.G. Robinson • Adirondack • Archon • Armstrong • Bach • Carolina • Cowpens • Daedalus • Dykstra • Essex • Franklin Roosevelt • Gettysburg • Heinlein • Jein • Kearsarge • Kon-Tiki • Lovell • Nez Perce • Nightingale • Okuda • Olympus • Pilgrim • Probert • Ptolemy • Shepard • Stephen Decatur • Valley Forge • William Clark • Yeager • Yorktown • Zefram Cochrane|
|Federation, Starfleet||Anson • Archon • Benjamin Franklin • Charles Darwin • Daedalus • Discovery • Drake • Essex • Heisenberg • Horizon • Lindbergh • Lovell • Masao • Nimrod • Republic • Rochelle • Valiant • Wakefield • Zander|
Appearances and references[edit | edit source]
- TOS episode & novelization: A Piece of the Action
- ST reference: The Worlds of the Federation
- ST reference: Star Trek Encyclopedia
- ST novel: Starfleet: Year One