Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.
- For other uses, see USS Zheng He.
- "Right now I'm on the bridge of the toughest, fastest, most powerful ship Starfleet ever put into service. And I got a fleet of them at my back."
- —William T. Riker, 2399[src]
Service history and disposition
In the year 2399, Zheng He and a squadron of sister ships was sent to intervene at the planet Coppelius after retired Admiral Jean-Luc Picard made a priority request for Starfleet and Federation involvement. Zheng He led the fleet, commanded by Acting Captain William T. Riker. The Zheng He squadron deployed in order to protect the Coppelius inhabitants from a Romulan fleet under orders to exterminate them.
After Captain Riker made the squadron's intentions clear, the Romulan fleet withdrew. The Zheng He squadron also departed after Riker left the situation in the hands of Admiral Picard, who was in command of the hired starship La Sirena. (PIC episode: "Et in Arcadia Ego, Part II")
|ships named Zheng He|
|USS Zheng He (NCC-150, Daedalus-class) • USS Zheng He (24th century)|
Appearances and references
- The Zheng He was a new model of starship not seen before in Star Trek. The assembled fleet all had similar planforms to Zheng He, with minor differences in warp nacelle arrangement and hull detailing. None of the vessels were labeled with names or registry numbers. Riker described the ship as the most formidable vessel ever fielded by Starfleet, meaning that the great number of like vessels was supposed to represent a significant display of military potential.
- The Zheng He bridge was a re-dress of the USS Discovery bridge set.
- The class of the ship itself was not named in any production mentioning the vessel, although showrunner Michael Chabon has had social media conversations stating class names he would like to give these vessels. On his Instagram story (transcript here), he initially said it that Zheng He belonged to the Curiosity class, which had been the class he earlier specified for the USS ibn Majid. When this inconsistency was pointed out, he consulted with others on the production team, and provided corrected information to admins of Memory Alpha, which designated the Zheng He as an Inquiry-class heavy cruiser.