- For other uses, see Vega.
Vega (also known as Alpha Lyrae and the Vegan system) is a star system in Federation space, located almost 8 parsecs (25 light-years) from Earth, where it is visible as the brightest star in the constellation of Lyra. This star is in the Alpha Quadrant, near the Denobula Triaxa system. (ST references: Star Fleet Technical Manual, Star Charts)
History and specifics[edit | edit source]
In 1970, the Beta 5 computer teleported an army of cloned soldiers created by Professor Eugene Eckhart and United States Army General Cory to an unpopulated class M planet in the Vega system. As the clones were all male, they were expected to die out in a single generation. (TOS - Assignment: Earth comic: "My Name Is Legion")
The Federation established the Vega colony in this system at some point prior to the 2250s decade. This was the destination of the starship USS Enterprise in 2254 when the ship diverted to Talos to answer a distress call. Vega was chosen as a port of call because of the hospital ficilities present, as several of the Enterprise crew had been wounded at Rigel. (TOS episode: "The Cage"; TOS episode & Star Trek 4 novelization: The Menagerie)
In late 2374, the USS Defiant was assigned to escort the PQ-1 convoy through the Vega system. (DS9 episode: "The Sound of Her Voice"; DS9 - Millennium novel: The Fall of Terok Nor, ST reference: Star Trek Encyclopedia)
- No history or specifics are established for this location in Starfleet Command III, as its name was arbitrarily selected for a Federation system on the game map by the game software, with random attributes.
System[edit | edit source]
- Vega (Alpha Lyrae, primary)
See also[edit | edit source]
- Vegan, a species native to Vega IX. (ST reference: The Worlds of the Federation)
- Vegan language, a language. (TOS - Star Trek 3 novelization: Friday's Child)
- Vegan choriomeningitis, a disease found on Vega IX. (TOS episode: "The Mark of Gideon")
- Vegan scora, an ape-like animal native to Vega IX. (ST reference: The Worlds of the Federation)
- Vegan truffle, a foodstuff. (DS9 novel: Devil in the Sky)
- Vegan Tyranny, an interstellar state ruled by the Vegans. (TOS - Star Trek 2 novelization: Tomorrow is Yesterday)