Volcanoes form in tectonically active areas. Magma movement forces the crust to flex, sometimes producing tremors and earthquakes, and pressure forces magma up through the top of the volcano. Two eruption stages are called Vesuvian and sub-Plinean. A stratovolcano is one type of volcano. (TOS novel: Firestorm)
1400 years ago, according to Klingon legend, Kahless the Unforgettable made the first bat'leth out of a lock of his own hair on the slopes of Kri'stak volcano on Qo'noS. (TNG episode: "Rightful Heir"; DS9 episode: "The Sword of Kahless"; TOS novel: Excelsior: Forged in Fire)
In the mid 2260s, on Alpha 332, James T. Kirk and Spock warned two species warring on the side of a volcano that it would shortly erupt. The humanoid Parracas evacuated their nearby village, but the simian Turracas ignored them and were killed by exploding lava. (TOS comic: "The Gods Have Come!")2267, a lava river from an erupting volcano dragged along the Galileo shuttlecraft. A Tactisian duplicate of the shuttle landed at the top of the volcano within its crater. (TOS comic: "The Mimicking Menace")
In the 2260s, mining operations on Taragon threatened a gigantic native organism. It fought back by triggering mining disasters and an erupting volcano. (TOS comic: "What Is This Thing Called Spock?")
In 2269, during a Vedala mission to retrieve and return the "Soul of the Skorr" on an unidentified planet, Kirk and his expedition were threatened by an erupting volcano. They hastily repaired their Vedala cart to outrun the lava flow. (TAS episode: "The Jihad")2365, an overabundance of dilithium deposits had destabilized Drema IV, triggering earthquakes and volcanoes. The young Dreman Sarjenka began transmitting distress signals which were picked up by Lieutenant commander Data. (TNG episode: "Pen Pals")
In 2273, a colony of sentient crystalline lifeforms was discovered within Rakatan Mons on Skaftar. They were made of coagulated silicates and communicated by producing vibrations in magma. (TOS novel: Firestorm)
- Biluddin (Alpha 332) • Firefalls of Gal'Gathong (Karethvek, Romulus) • Graveyard of Lost Ships (Sanctuary) • Krakatoa (Indonesia, Earth) • Kri'stak volcano (Kra'ta plains, Qo'noS) • Mandara (Tohvun III) • Mazama Mons (Skaftar) • Mount Seleya (Vulcan) • Mount Vesuvius (Pompeii, Earth) • Olympus Mons (Mars) • Proutu (Tkon) • Rakatan Mons (Skaftar) • Shiluzeya (Shilu island, Akkalla) • Valtarik volcano • Near Vulcan's Forge (Vulcan)
Planets and moons with volcanoesEdit
- Akkalla • Alpha 332 • Aluwna • Ahmista • Bajor • Belle Terre • Betazed • Ceti Alpha V • Dakala • Devron II • Drema IV • Drenar IV • Dyson homeworld • Earth • Elysium • Etolos • Farius Prime • Hanon IV • Helva • Heronius • Koorn • Ligos VII • Lorca • Mars • Myrmidon • Nibiru • Ocampa V • Okeanos • Ostratus • Penthara IV • Phaedra • Qo'noS • Rator II • Rimilia • Rithra • Romulus • Remus • Sanctuary • Selva • Sigma 1212 • Skaftar • Tactis II • Taragon • Terratin • Tezwa • Tkon • T'Khut • Tohvun III • Tycho IV • Vanìmel • Vulcan
- Volcano article at Memory Alpha, the wiki for canon Star Trek.
- Volcano article at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
- TOS movie: Into Darkness
- TNG episode: "Pen Pals"
- TNG episode: "A Matter of Time"
- TNG episode: "All Good Things..."
- VOY episode: "Basics"
- ENT episode: "Horizon"
- TAS episode: "The Jihad"
- TOS novel: The Covenant of the Crown
- TOS novel: Triangle
- TOS novel: Deep Domain
- TOS novel: Sanctuary
- TOS novel: Firestorm
- TOS novel: To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh
- TOS - Vulcan's Soul novel: Exiles
- TOS comic: "The Mimicking Menace"
- TOS comic: "The Gods Have Come!"
- TOS comic: "What Is This Thing Called Spock?"
- TOS novel: Burning Dreams
- TNG novel: Kahless
- TNG novel: Q-Zone
- TNG episode: "Rascals"
- TNG episode: "Rightful Heir"
- ENT episode: "Dawn"
- ENT episode: "Rogue Planet"
- DS9 episode: "The Sword of Kahless"
- TOS novel: Spock's World
- TOS novel: The Disinherited
- TOS novel: From the Depths
- TOS novel: The Fearful Summons
- TOS novel: Twilight's End
- TOS - My Brother's Keeper novel: Constitution
- TOS - Crucible novel: The Star to Every Wandering
- TOS - Vulcan's Soul novel: Epiphany
- TOS novel: Excelsior: Forged in Fire
- TOS novel: Spectre
- TOS novel: Dark Victory
- TOS novel: Captain's Blood
- TNG novel: Masks
- TNG novel: Exiles
- TNG novel: Chains of Command
- TNG novel: War Drums
- TNG novel: Grounded
- TNG novel: Dyson Sphere
- TNG - Double Helix novel: Red Sector
- TNG novel: The Genesis Wave, Book Two
- TNG novel: Genesis Force
- TNG novel: The Battle of Betazed
- TNG - A Time to... novel: A Time to Die
- DS9 novel: A Stitch in Time
- DS9 - The Left Hand of Destiny novel: Book Two
- DS9 - The Brave and the Bold, Book One novella: The Second Artifact
- VOY novelization: Caretaker
- VOY novel: Ghost of a Chance
- VOY novel: Pathways
- ENT novelization: The Expanse
- ENT novel: The Good That Men Do
- ENT - The Romulan War novel: Beneath the Raptor's Wing
- NF novel: Fire on High
- TLE novel: Serpents Among the Ruins
- TLE novel: Well of Souls
- Strange New Worlds short story: "A Ribbon for Rosie"
- Strange New Worlds short story: "The Name of the Cat"
- Strange New Worlds short story: "Flight 19"
- New Worlds, New Civilizations short story: "A Warrior's Path"
- Last Unicorn RPG module: The Way of D'era: The Romulan Star Empire
- TOS comic: "Furlough to Fury"