"What Goes Around…" was the 41st issue of DC Comics's 1984 ongoing series of Star Trek comics, released in August 1987. The issue consists of a 21-page Star Trek: The Original Series story written by new series regular writer Michael Carlin. Pencil and ink art was by Tom Sutton and Ricardo Villagran, respectively, with colors by Michele Wolfman and lettering by Agustin Mas. This issue was edited by Robert Greenberger.
- 1 Summary
- 2 References
- 3 Chronology
- 4 Appendices
The Enterprise responds to a distress call from a merchant ship under attack by Orion pirates. The pirates have hostages aboard their ship, and the merchant ship in tow, when the Enterprise arrives. Thanks to another miracle from Scotty, the hostages are rescued and the pirates captured.
- Ace Industries Cargo Vessel Number 10658, captain's log, stardate 8950.4
- Ruthless Orion pirates are storming my ship—
- —All seems lost!
- The renegade traders have breached our hull at several strategic vantage points—
- —In the hopes that justice may be administered should the worst befall us all!
- —We should've known a shipload of Andorian jewels would attract the wrong kind of attention!
- My instruments show that the Orions have sealed off space's vacuum—it's only a matter of seconds now…
- Enterprise, captain's log, stardate 8950.1
- The Enterprise crewman's Olympics qualifying matches proceed without a hitch today, until…
- Captain's log, stardate 89501.7
- The Orion pirates have been incarcerated and the innocent merchant ship has been sent on its way…
- … Only the Enterprise's troubles remain unsettled.
- Medical officer's log, stardate 8952.4
- Captain Scott's treatment and recovery are swift…
- … He's a tough man to keep down.
- Allocca • Arons • William Bearclaw • Benson • Pavel Chekov • Fucci • Isenberg • James T. Kirk • Kaminsky • Konom • Lawlor • Makon • Leonard McCoy • Scotty • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Nyota Uhura • USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-A) personnel • unnamed USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-A) personnel • Ace Industries Cargo Vessel 10658 personnel • unnamed Orions
Starships and vehicles
- Ace Industries Cargo Vessel 10658 (merchant ship/freighter) • USS Enterprise-A (Enterprise-subclass refit Constitution-class heavy cruiser) • unnamed Orion starships (Orion pirate ship)
- Referenced only
- Starbase 12
Races and cultures
- Referenced only
States and organizations
Science and classification
- coordinates • energy • lifeform • matter• parsec • races and cultures • second • space • stardate • subspace • technology • time • universe
Material and substances
Technology and weapons
- bio-scan • deflector shield • hull • Jefferies tube • phaser • photon defense system • rifle • sensor • starship • subspace radio • transporter • viewscreen • warp drive
Ranks and titles
- captain • chief engineer • chief medical officer • commander • commanding officer • communications officer • crewman • czar • doctor • engineer • ensign • Federation Starfleet ranks • Federation Starfleet ranks (2270s-2350s) • first officer • helmsman • navigator • officer • science officer • second officer • security • security chief • tactical officer • weapons officer
- captain's log • captain's log, Ace Industries Cargo Vessel 10658 • captain's log, USS Enterprise-A, 2286 • communication • distress call • government • kindergarten • law • log entry •medical officer's log • medical officer's log, USS Enterprise-A • nation-state • Olympics • Orion piracy • piracy •rank • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2278-2350s) • title • uniform • weapon • wrestling • yellow alert
- 2270 (voyages of the USS Enterprise)
- Orion pirates steal a supply of strobolin, endangering Spock's life. (TAS episode & Log Five novelization: The Pirates of Orion, mentioned as having occurred a decade earlier)
- 2286 (voyages of the USS Enterprise-A)
- Enterprise-A receives 10658's distress call.
- TAS episode & Log Five novelization: The Pirates of Orion: Spock references the encounter that nearly cost him his life. Also, the Orion pirates wear similar uniforms and have similar skin coloration to the Orions in that episode.
- TOS comic: "Choices!": Scotty mentions the recent sabotage attempt.
- FASA RPG - The Orions modules: Book of Common Knowledge, Book of Deep Knowledge: While it seems that the pale-skinned Orions seen in "The Pirates of Orion" and this issue might be representative of the Grey Orion race, the RPG materials that describe the Grey Orions make it seem as if it would be unusual for an entire crew of pirates to be of this strain of the Orion civilization. Another possibility is the gray reptilian Orions.
- This was Michael Carlin's first issue as series regular writer, replacing Len Wein. He would be succeeded by Peter David in issue #48.
#40: Mudd's Magic!
The Return of Mudd
|The Original Series
(DC Comics, Series One)
#42: The Corbomite Effect