In 2267, he was in charge of the station during the discovery of the Horta and the creation of an agreement between the Horta and miners. (TOS episode & Star Trek 4 novelization: The Devil in the Dark)
In 2270, Vanderberg requested Starfleet assistance to conduct a criminal investigation after a miner and Horta were found dead. He met with a Starfleet Legal Services officer and a landing party from the starship USS Enterprise, but was forced to defer much of their interaction to Ed Appel. Vanderberg was legally obligated to act as prosecuting officer, and any interaction with investigating personnel could prejudice a trial. (FASA RPG module: Witness for the Defense)
In 2297, he officiated at the closing ceremonies of the Pergium Production Station. He then retired to Earth, but returned for several visits before his death. Horta granted his final wish that he be buried in the Vault of Tomorrow. (TOS - Strange New Worlds VII short story: "Guardians")
- "Witness for the Defense" provided his first name, but spelled his last name Vanderburg.
- TOS episode & Star Trek 4 novelization: The Devil in the Dark
- FASA RPG module: Witness for the Defense
- ST - Strange New Worlds VII short story: "Guardians"
- TOS novel: The Case of the Colonist's Corpse
- TOS - Strange New Worlds IV short story: "Tears for Eternity"