Witness For The Defense is a role-playing module/adventure for FASA's Star Trek: The Role-Playing Game. It was FASA's second adventure book released separately from the box set, one of three (along with "The Vanished" and "Denial of Destiny") published in 1983, and the third of four adventures involving the crew of the USS Enterprise. It was a sequel to TOS episode & Star Trek 4 novelization: The Devil in the Dark.
In this adventure, players assumed the role of the crew of the Enterprise to solve a murder mystery.
- The crew of the Enterprise returns to Janus VI, scene of their adventure with the Horta ("The Devil in the Dark"), and finds tragedy. A young miner stands accused of murder and genocide. Will he be convicted by the swift justice of the final frontier, or can Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock and Dr. McCoy find evidence to clear him? And if they do, where is the real killer, and will he strike again — bringing disaster to the mining colony of Janus VI?
- All Mother • Ralph Antara • Ed Appel • Randy Conway • Laura Delaney • Louis Handy • Jack Katz • James T. Kirk • Laurel Levine • Leonard McCoy • Montgomery Scott • Solon • Spock • Clem Taplin • Wilson Vanderberg • Klaus Wagner • unnamed Humans • unnamed Horta
- Referenced only
- Davidson Leek
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- Referenced only
- Hyrallis IV
Races and culturesEdit
- Referenced only
States and organizationsEdit
- Federation • Federation Council • Federation Diplomatic Corps • Starfleet • Starfleet Legal Services
Science and technologyEdit
- communications • computer • force field • geology • hand phaser • hydroponics • laboratory • library computer • microtape • nuclear fission • phaser • phaser heat unit • psychotricorder • PXK reactor • radiation • circulating pump • subspace radio • thermal concrete • transporter • turbolift
Ranks and titlesEdit
- admiral • captain • chief administrative officer • chief engineer • chief geologist • commanding officer • crewman • Federation Starfleet ranks (2260s) • guard • judge • lieutenant • mechanic • medical officer • miner • Mother Horta • officer • prosecutor • rank • senior officer • Starfleet ranks
- acid • assignment patch • atmosphere • brain • cavern • city • coffee • colony • corporation • day • duty shift • egg • Federation law • galaxy • government • headache • landing party • metal • mind meld • mining • money • pergium • planet • plutonium • poker • pool table • quarters • rock • sector • shore leave • shuttle • silicon • silicon-based lifeform • sports and games • Starfleet regulations • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2265-2270) • swimming • uranium • warp five • warp three • year
- TOS episode & Star Trek 4 novelization: The Devil in the Dark – Introduced Janus VI, pergium mining, the Horta, Ed Appel and Wilson Vanderberg.
- TOS novels: The Case of the Colonist's Corpse, The Vulcan Academy Murders, TOS comic: "Murder on the Enterprise" – Additional 2260s-era murder mysteries involving the Enterprise crew.
- TOS novel: Devil's Bargain – The mother Horta was seen in this sequel, which took place in 2269.
- SNW short story: "Guardians" – Closing of the pergium mine in 2297 and an overview of subsequent millennia for Horta.
- Vanderberg was spelled Vanderburg in this story.
- The reference stardate was provided when this story was cited in FASA RPG module: Star Trek IV Sourcebook Update.
- Witness for the Defense article at Memory Alpha, the wiki for canon Star Trek.
- Witness for the Defense (Star Trek: The Role Playing Game) article at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.