- In a desperate attempt to prevent the artificial intelligence known as Control from seizing crucial information that could destroy all sentient life, Commander Michael Burnham donned the "Red Angel" time-travel suit and guided the USS Discovery into the future and out of harm’s way. But something has gone terribly wrong, and Burnham has somehow arrived in a place far different from anything she could have imagined—more than nine hundred years out of her time, with Discovery nowhere to be found, and where the mysterious and cataclysmic event known as “the Burn” has utterly decimated Starfleet and, with it, the United Federation of Planets. How then can she possibly exist day-to-day in this strange place? What worlds are out there waiting to be discovered? Do any remnants of Starfleet and the Federation possibly endure? With more questions than answers, Burnham must nevertheless forge new friendships and new alliances if she hopes to survive this future long enough for the Discovery crew to find her…
Despite taking up residence at Spaceport Devaloka, Burnham decides to begin working as a courier and Book helps her acquire a ship, Alice. She learns of Atalis IV, a planet rich in minerals but lacking the capacity for self-sufficiency which has become dependent on couriers for supply runs. It is now blockaded by a pirate group, the White Palm. Burnham and Booker hijack a dilithium shipment and Burnham uses her cut to hire a fleet to break the blockade. The Atalis authorities are furious, since they were about to make a deal with the pirates, but allow Burnham to leave with Iliana Pa'Dan, a courier trapped on the planet while trying to bring them supplies who they had been about to hand over to the White Palm.
Burnham and Booker answer a distress call on a Federation frequency from Ikasu only to learn the planet is fiercely isolationist: The call came from Zuka Baleso, an astronomer who broke the isolation. The pair are forced to take Zuka and her unwilling daughter Binye off planet to save them from arrest, taking them to Sanctuary Four. Binye later ends up accompanying Burnham in driving off a White Palm attack on a generation ship from Iolos. The occupants are split: Their planet was abandoned by the Federation after the Temporal Wars and the older passengers try to pretend the Federation and Starfleet are a myth. Having already picked up a twelve-year-old message from Admiral Vance encouraging people to head for Earth, and united the two factions in fighting off a second attack, Burnham convinces most of the crew to head for Earth, while delivering any that want it to either Sanctuary Four or Devaloka.
Booker shows Burnham Donatu VII, the secret world where couriers' families lives. It is now under attack from the White Palm, using transwarp tunnels. After helping defend it, Burnham points out the world is no longer secret and suggests turning it into a mercantile exchange so people will guard it.
Iliana tells Burnham about Starbase Vanguard, built on the site of the former Starbase 906. Burnham meets its head, Remington, but learns she and her associate Dell Leavitt run White Palm and are planning to occupy Devaloka to build their power base. Burnham and Booker escape, collapsing a transwarp tunnel on Leavitt, and learns the starbase was a Starfleet research post until two years ago, when the White Palm killed the occupants. Burnham and Sahil mount a defence of Devaloka, and the White Palm fleet are defeated when Booker arrives with a large group of courier ships. In their absence, Iliana leads Starbase 906's population, who were loyal to Starfleet, in overthrowing Remington and Burnham puts her in command of the starbase.
Burnham decides to set out on her own but not long after Sahil tells her and Booker that Discovery has been located.
- Ajud • Aoila • Zuka Baleso • Binye • Cleveland Booker • Brodie • Michael Burnham • Culbreath • Soce Foy • Grudge • Jeremiah • Katerina • Dell Leavitt • Marshak • Iliana Pa'Dan • Nenee Raud • Remington • Aditya Sahil • Priya Tagore
- Referenced only
- Achilles (myth) • Airiam • Gabrielle Burnham • Control • Keyla Detmer • Philippa Georgiou • Amanda Grayson • Namid Hacquin • Hercules (myth) • Joshi • Reiko Kamada • Grace Kavanagh • Lorrah • Mahmut • Maryam Mirzakhani • Odysseus (myth) • Ravi • Iryi Roala • Sarek • Saru • Spock • Paul Stamets • Ibithan Th'rhaven • Sylvia Tilly • Ash Tyler
Starships and vehicles
- Alice (Nirvana-class flyer) • Book's ship (Kwejian frigate) • Eden-class • Maildun (Iolos generation ship) • USS Maryam Mirzakhani (Federation science vessel) • Pa'Dan's ship • skimmer • White Palm raider
- Atalis • Atalis IV • Back Forty • Cler • Cler Mercantile Exchange • Donatu VII • Fantasyland • Freya City • Ikasu • Ikasun system • Lecksitt • Radok Sien Mercantile Exchange • Reef City • Spaceport Devaloka • Starbase 906
- Referenced only
- Alla • Andor • Betazed • Delphi • Earth • Hell • Iolos • Luxiar system • Mount Keru • Mount Seleya • Mount Sirivithin • New Utopia Planitia Shipyards • Prithvi • Requiem City • Sahnis III • Sanctuary Four • Tellar • Terralysium • Treylis system • Trill (planet) • Vulcan (planet)
Races and cultures
States and organizations
- Couriers • Federation Council • Governing Body of Atalis • Section 31 • Starfleet • United Federation of Planets • Vulcan Expeditionary Group • White Palm
Ranks and titles
- advisor • captain • chief • chief medical officer • chief science officer • commander • councilor • enforcer • engineer • executive officer • informant • junior councilor • junior officer • lieutenant commander • mathematician • minister • navigator • officer • philosopher • pilot • police
Science and classification
- black box • The Burn • comm system • computer • data chip • decryption protocol • dilithium • eighth-generation nanocube • engine • EV suit • flight recorder • heart • nanocube • nanotechnology • programmable matter • Red Angel • rocket science • scanner • sensor • space • starbase • subspace relay • telescope • time • time travel • transporter • transwarp tunnel
- Ancient Greek • blockade • cat • day • day care • death • distress call • economics • economy • exchange • Fields Medal • first contact • flag • fleet • food • history • hour • jacket • kanar • language • Latin • leather • Linear A • map • meditation • mercantile • minute • money • month • outpost • personal log • philosophy • planet • poetry • price tag • quadrant • red leaf tea • retirement • satchel • sector • shoe • stardate • Suus Mahna • tea • technology • Temporal Wars • trance worm • war • weapon • week • year
|DSC novels||Next novel:|
to be announced
The Last Best Hope
to be announced