Xenoethnology or ethnology is a sub-specialty of anthropology and social sciences that focuses on social and cultural aspects of races and cultures. One who studies this subject is known as a xenoethnologist or ethnologist.
- cultural heritage
- foods and beverages
- gender relations
- Human culture
- social equality
During the 2260s, xenoethnologist Hernanda Dimas visited and studied most of the indigenous cultures on habitable planets in sectors neighboring the Great Rift, including those of This-al-Thwaiton, Chalburna II and Prometheus IV. (TOS video game: The Promethean Prophecy)
In 2267, James T. Kirk called Spock an accomplished ethnologist while trapped on Earth's past. When Spock observed that 1930's society was full of barbarians, Kirk replied that all cultures experience a violent phase. (TOS comic: "Harlan Ellison's The City on the Edge of Forever, Issue 3")
- TOS movie: The Wrath of Khan
- TOS novel: World Without End
- TOS novel: The Face of the Unknown
- TOS comic: "Harlan Ellison's The City on the Edge of Forever, Issue 3"
- TOS - Star Trek II Short Stories short story: "Wild Card"
- TOS video game: The Promethean Prophecy
- DS9 - Section 31 novel: Abyss
- DS9 - Terok Nor novel: Day of the Vipers
- DSC novel: Fear Itself