Characteristics and historyEdit
Zenite, in its most stable form, has an atomic mass of 318, and was discovered by the Federation for the first time through contact with the civilization on Ardana. This metal is part of the trans-uranic series of heavy elements. (ST reference: Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual)
Zenite, found in rare ore, can be processed to be used to combat botanical plagues. It is present on a limited number of worlds, among those Ardana, Remus, and Raknal V. (TOS episode: "The Cloud Minders"; ST - Vulcan's Soul novel: Exiles; TLE novel: The Art of the Impossible)
In 2269, Doctor Leonard McCoy discovered that raw, unprocessed zenite generated a gas dangerous to many humanoids, as it limited intellectual capability and provoke violent tendencies. This debilitating effect exacerbated the societal rift between the zenite mining Troglytes of Ardana, and the upper class Stratos City Dwellers. (TOS episode: "The Cloud Minders")
|This article or section is incomplete|
|This article is marked as lacking essential detail, and needs attention. Information regarding expansion requirements may be found on the article's talk page. Feel free to edit this page to assist with this expansion.|
In real-life science, element 118 was first synthesised in 2002 and formally named "Oganesson" in 2015. Some models of theoretical science have stated that heavy elements on this scale cannot exist in nature. Subspace science mentioned in Star Trek may account for the contradiction of this being a resource on other worlds.
- TOS episode: "The Cloud Minders"
- ST references: Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual, The Worlds of the Federation
- ST - Vulcan's Soul novel: Exiles
- TLE novel: The Art of the Impossible
- ST novels: Articles of the Federation, A Singular Destiny
- TOS novel: The Case of the Colonist's Corpse
- CoE short story: "Signs from Heaven"
- VOY - Obsidian Alliances novel: The Mirror-Scaled Serpent
- MU novel: Rise Like Lions